Five Opening Round Games Involve BCC Teams in Post-Season Rematches from a Year Ago
SOUTH PLAINFIELD, NJ – The 2023 playoff and regional crossover match-ups are set, and this week’s set of games have several rematches of playoff games or regional crossovers from a year ago. Take a look at the list of post-season rematches from a year ago in this week’s games.
- Ramsey @ Bernards – Ramsey defeated Bernards (35-21) in the opening round of the 2022 North Jersey Section 2 Group 2 playoffs.
- A.L. Johnson @ Pleasantville – Pleasantville defeated A.L. Johnson (25-7) in the opening round of the 2022 South Jersey Group 2 playoffs.
- Burlington City @ Middlesex – Burlington City defeated Middlesex (35-14) in the opening round of the 2022 South Jersey Group 1 Regional Invitational Tournament.
- Governor Livingston @ Summit – Summit defeated Governor Livingston (57-8) in the opening round of the 2022 North Jersey Group 3 Regional Invitational Tournament
- Cranford @ West Essex – West Essex defeated Cranford (14-7) in the semifinal round of the 2022 North Jersey Section 2 Group 3 Playoffs.
Bridgewater-Raritan and Watchung Hills met earlier this season at Tozier Stadium with the Warriors winning a close one in the rain (14-7). Watchung Hills scored a touchdown with seconds remaining to win the contest. The two teams also met during the regular season last year at Basilone Field in Bridgewater with the Warriors also winning (38-14).
North Brunswick faced Freehold Township in the opening round of the 2017 NJSIAA Central Jersey Group 5 Playoffs and lost 17-13 in Freehold.
Voorhees played Mendham in a Regional Crossover back in 2021 with the Minutemen defeating the Vikings 31-13. Mendham then defeated another Big Central Conference school in Roselle the following week in another crossover (35-14). Scotch Plains-Fanwood and South Plainfield last played each other in the post-season back in 2007 when the Tigers defeated the Raiders (16-14) in a memorable NJSIAA North Jersey Section 2 Group 3 semifinal.
Ridge has played Woodbridge twice previously in the playoffs. In 2009, the Red Devils hosted the Barrons in the North Jersey Section 2 Group 4 semifinals and won 34-21 before losing to Phillipsburg in the Championship. Two seasons ago, the two teams met again in the opening round of the 2021 North Jersey Section 1 Group 4 playoffs at Prisco Stadium in Woodbridge, and the Red Devils won again (38-0).
There is also the potential for rematches in later rounds between Phillipsburg and West Orange in North Jersey Section 2 Group 5, Ridge and Ramapo in North Jersey Section 1 Group 4, Sayreville and Irvington in North Jersey Section 2 Group 4, and Hillside and Old Tappan in North Jersey Section 1 Group 3.
In addition, South Brunswick faces off against Marlboro in South Jersey Group 5. Although these two schools have not met recently in the football state playoffs, the Vikings have played off against each other in the Central Jersey Group 4 Boys Basketball State Tournament in three of the last four years.