Panthers Win Third Straight in Short Series
SOUTH PLAINFIELD, NJ – For the third straight year, Bridgewater-Raritan defeated Elizabeth in a Big Central Conference crossover match-up. In a great back-and-forth game, Bridgewater-Raritan defeated Elizabeth (23-19) at Basilone Field this past Friday night. Frankie Verano rushed 20 times for 79 yards and 2 TDs including the game-winning score with under a minute and a half to play. The series between the Panthers and Minutemen began in 2009 after the formation of the Mid-State 38 Conference. The Panthers lead the series 7-4 and have won 6 of the last 7. Here’s the Elizabeth vs. Bridgewater-Raritan rivalry at a glance.
|Year||Winner||Winning Score||Loser||Losing Score|
NOTE: Elizabeth played Bridgewater-Raritan West for three straight years from 1966 to 1968 and won two of the three contests. Elizabeth won in 1966 (32-7) and 1968 (26-19) while Bridgewater-Raritan West won in 1967 (33-0).
- Bridgewater-Raritan has outscored Elizabeth by a margin of 236-211, or by an average of about 21-19 per contest.
- Both teams each have two shutouts (Elizabeth in 2012 and 2014) and (Bridgewater in 2009 and 2017).
- Longest winning streak: 3 games (Elizabeth from 2012 to 2014), (Bridgewater-Raritan from 2015 to 2017), and (Bridgewater 2021 to 2023 – current).
- Six games have been decided by 7 points or less.
- Largest margin of victory: 39 by Elizabeth (39-0 in 2012). Bridgewater-Raritan defeated Elizabeth 35-0 in 2017.